Thursday, January 13, 2011

Christmas Vacation in the Caribbean - A New Holiday Tradition

This was our 3rd year celebrating Christmas in the Caribbean - Grand Cayman. Jake, the girls and I headed down to Cayman Island on a Wednesday, a bit earlier than most, so we were able to enjoy the beaches virtually to ourselves for the first part of our vacation. The beauty of the island was humbling.

Our toddler, Ava, was not scared of the sand or the water this year (and Cayman is basically a sand and coral island surrounded by water), so we were able to really enjoy the experience in a very different way. My memories of Christmas past included quite a bit of napping (Ava needed a daily nap) and carrying ("Mom, hold me!" became Ava's mantra during our daily dawn and dusk strolls along the shoreline). At least I was working my biceps, but what a relief to have a little girl who actually wanted to run in the sand (sometimes I asked her if I could please hold her for a bit!).

Going to the Cayman Islands has become a new holiday tradition for us - one of the best traditions we have. I can't wait for next Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment